Search This Blog

Giving is the Essence of the Christian Faith

Pr Caroline Chang
04-03-2018

Jesus gave His all for us.

Luke 8:1-8 English Standard Version (ESV)
Women Accompanying Jesus
8 Soon afterward he went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with him, 2 and also some women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, 3 and Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod's household manager, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for them[a] out of their means.

The Parable of the Sower
4 And when a great crowd was gathering and people from town after town came to him, he said in a parable, 5 “A sower went out to sow his seed. And as he sowed, some fell along the path and was trampled underfoot, and the birds of the air devoured it. 6 And some fell on the rock, and as it grew up, it withered away, because it had no moisture. 7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up with it and choked it. 8 And some fell into good soil and grew and yielded a hundredfold.” As he said these things, he called out, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”

Cf: KJV, New Life, NLT, MSG, AMP

Mark 15:40-41 English Standard Version (ESV)
40 There were also women looking on from a distance, among whom were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses, and Salome. 41 When he was in Galilee, they followed him and ministered to him, and there were also many other women who came up with him to Jerusalem.

Women have a powerful role to play in the kingdom of God.

After the Pentecost, in Acts 2:42-47, the believers gave all they had so that there was not a needy person amongst them because there was so much caring and sharing. This was the work of the Holy Spirit. Something happened in their hearts and in the way they saw people. They had favour with all the people. And souls were added into the kingdom every day.

In Acts 4, Barnabas the encourager gave towards the cause of missions.

In Acts 11, there was the scattering of the Jews all over. The church were affected financially.

The Antioch Christians made missions collections to help the needy and impoverished saints in Jerusalem and Judea by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.

Romans 15:24-27 English Standard Version (ESV)
24 I hope to see you in passing as I go to Spain, and to be helped on my journey there by you, once I have enjoyed your company for a while. 25 At present, however, I am going to Jerusalem bringing aid to the saints. 26 For Macedonia and Achaia have been pleased to make some contribution for the poor among the saints at Jerusalem. 27 For they were pleased to do it, and indeed they owe it to them. For if the Gentiles have come to share in their spiritual blessings, they ought also to be of service to them in material blessings.

Paul himself went to Corinth and Philippi, the churches he had founded.

He said that it is only fair that now you bless them with material blessings.

1 Corinthians 16:6 English Standard Version (ESV)
6 and perhaps I will stay with you or even spend the winter, so that you may help me on my journey, wherever I go.

1 Corinthians 16:10-11 English Standard Version (ESV)
10 When Timothy comes, see that you put him at ease among you, for he is doing the work of the Lord, as I am. 11 So let no one despise him. Help him on his way in peace, that he may return to me, for I am expecting him with the brothers.

Romans 15:24 English Standard Version (ESV)
24 I hope to see you in passing as I go to Spain, and to be helped on my journey there by you, once I have enjoyed your company for a while.

Paul himself needed help as a missionary.

Philippians 4:10-14English Standard Version (ESV)
God's Provision
10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

14 Yet it was kind of you to share[a] my trouble.

Paul learned to be content in whatever circumstances. It is not so much the material or financial giving.

Philippians 4:15-20 English Standard Version (ESV)
15 And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. 16 Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit.[a] 18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.

God is telling the Philippian Christians that God honours every giving. God will accordingly reward their giving in heaven.

Our gifts are acceptable, sweet smelling sacrifices to Him.

God loves a cheerful giver. Your joyful, bountiful giving will not go unnoticed by God.

"You can give without loving, but you can never love without giving. The great acts of love are done by those who are habitually performing small acts of kindness." - Victor Marie Hugo (1802-1885), French poet, novelist, and dramatist of the Romantic movement

"As base a thing as money often is, yet it can be transmuted into everlasting treasure. It can be converted into food for the hungry and clothing for the poor. It can keep a missionary actively winning lost men to the light of the gospel and thus transmute itself into heavenly values. Any temporal possession can be turned into everlasting wealth. Whatever is given to Christ is immediately touched with immortality."
- AW Tozer

We cannot have God and money together. But we can serve God with money.

No comments:

Post a Comment