Search This Blog

Christmas Comes Because Christ Has Come

Elder Dorai Manikam
25-12-2017

Matthew 1:18-25New King James Version (NKJV)
Christ Born of Mary
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. 20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

22 So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”

24 Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife, 25 and did not know her till she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name Jesus.

John 3:16New King James Version (NKJV)
16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Christmas means God has come to visit us through the person Jesus Christ.

Christmas is about the birth of Jesus Christ.

Christmas comes because Christ has come to save all people. Christmas comes because God is here now.

Christmas signifies:
1) God has descended upon earth.

2) God who saves.

3) God who remains.

The birth of Christ is no ordinary birth:
1) He was born of a virgin. (v18) 

2) He was born of the Holy spirit. (v20)

3) God who became man, visible, connectable now. (v23)

Every human being gets a new dignity and value because God has decided to take the form of man. Every one has value.

God drew near because He loves us.

Until our eyes are open, we can't see Him.

God is near us.

(v25) The name of Jesus means God saves us from the punishment of sin. 

Sin is a deliberate violation of God's will (wrong words, wrong thoughts, wrong feelings... envy, anger, unforgiveness, bitterness).

"Our hearts are restless until we find rest in God." - St. Augustine

Truth is a person--the person of Jesus Christ.

God is able to change and transform us.

There is forgiveness of sin for every one who believes in Jesus Christ. In Christ, we have the grace and strength to forgive others. We can have peace with ourselves because we have peace with God.

Every one who calls on Jesus will be saved.

Sin victimises us. Sin also has eternal punishment.

God came to set us free from the guilt of sin. In Jesus, that punishment, guilt, dominion of sin over our lives is taken away.

He is Immanuel, God with us.

Isaiah 64:1-8New King James Version (NKJV)
64 Oh, that You would rend the heavens!
That You would come down!
That the mountains might shake at Your presence—
2 As fire burns brushwood,
As fire causes water to boil—
To make Your name known to Your adversaries,_
That the nations may tremble at Your presence!_
3 When You did awesome things for which we did not look,
You came down,
The mountains shook at Your presence.
4 For since the beginning of the world
Men have not heard nor perceived by the ear,
Nor has the eye seen any God besides You,
Who acts for the one who waits for Him.
5 You meet him who rejoices and does righteousness,
Who remembers You in Your ways.
You are indeed angry, for we have sinned—
In these ways we continue;
And we need to be saved.

6 But we are all like an unclean thing,
And all our righteousness are like filthy rags;
We all fade as a leaf,
And our iniquities, like the wind,
Have taken us away.
7 And there is no one who calls on Your name,
Who stirs himself up to take hold of You;
For You have hidden Your face from us,
And have consumed us because of our iniquities.

8 But now, O Lord,
You are our Father;
We are the clay, and You our potter;
And all we are the work of Your hand.

God became man. "I will teach you how to live this life."


I Rise Today

I rise today
in the power's strength, invoking the Trinity
believing in threeness,
confessing the oneness,
of creation's Creator.
I rise today
in the power of Christ's birth and baptism,
in the power of his crucifixion and burial,
in the power of his rising and ascending,
in the power of his descending and judging.
I rise today
in the power of the love of cherubim,
in the obedience of angels
and service of archangels,
in hope of rising to receive the reward,
in the prayers of patriarchs,
in the predictions of the prophets,
in the preaching of apostles,
in the faith of confessors,
in the innocence of holy virgins,
in the deeds of the righteous.
I rise today
in heaven's might,
in sun's brightness,
in moon's radiance,
in fire's glory,
in lightning's quickness,
in wind's swiftness,
in sea's depth,
in earth's stability,
in rock's fixity.
I rise today
with the power of God to pilot me,
God's strength to sustain me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look ahead for me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to protect me,
God's way before me,
God's shield to defend me,
God's host to deliver me,
from snares of devils,
from evil temptations,
from nature's failings,
from all who wish to harm me,
far or near,
alone and in a crowd.
Around me I gather today all these powers
against every cruel and merciless force
to attack my body and soul,
against the charms of false prophets,
the black laws of paganism,
the false laws of heretics,
the deceptions of idolatry,
against spells cast by women, smiths, and druids,
and all unlawful knowledge that harms the body and soul.
May Christ protect me today
against poison and burning,
against drowning and wounding,
so that I may have abundant reward;
Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me;
Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me;
Christ to the right of me, Christ to the left of me;
Christ in my lying, Christ in my sitting, Christ in my rising;
Christ in the heart of all who think of me,
Christ on the tongue of all who speak to me,
Christ in the eye of all who see me,
Christ in the ear of all who hear me.
I rise today
in power's strength, invoking the Trinity,
believing in threeness,
confessing the oneness,
of creation's Creator.
For to the Lord belongs
salvation,
and to the Lord belongs salvation
and to Christ belongs salvation.
May your salvation, Lord, be with us always.
—"Saint Patrick's Breastplate,"
Old Irish, eighth-century prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment